The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers a few benefits the deceased’s family members may be able to receive if they are eligible. We recommend contacting SSA as soon as possible to determine which benefits you may be able to collect. Here is some additional information about the benefits that may be available for you or your family members.
A lump sum payment of $255 may be paid one time to an eligible surviving spouse. The surviving spouse must have been living with the deceased at the time of death or receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record if they were living apart. The payment may be made to an eligible child of the deceased if there is no surviving spouse, provided the child is entitled to receive benefits on the deceased’s SSA record during the month of death.
Monthly benefits may be paid to certain eligible family members, including:
- The decedent’s surviving spouse if they are age 60 or older, or at 50 or older if disabled
- Any surviving spouse (regardless of age) who is providing care for a child of the deceased who is under 16 years old or has a disability
- A child of the deceased who is under 18 years old provided they are unmarried, age 18 or 19 if they are a full time student in elementary or secondary school, or age 18 or older if the child has a disability that was documented before the child turned 22 years old.
- Parents of the deceased who are at least 62 years old if they were financially dependent on the deceased for at least half of their support
- A divorced former spouse of the deceased may be eligible in certain circumstances.
We encourage you to explore the SSA website to get more information about other programs and benefits. You can complete several things online using the SSA website.
If you have additional questions you can also reach SSA by using their toll-free number. Their team can help answer specific questions and be reached from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday at 1-800-772-1213. There is also a 24 hour a day automated phone system that may be able to provide the information you need.